Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The wait...


    I found this picture of a girl sitting and waiting behind a curtain she can see through a little bit, but she can't make out everything... It intrigues me in many ways and I will tell you why.
I am sitting waiting behind a sheer curtain myself, most girls around my age are.  We are all sitting, finding only glimpses of what is to come, what God's plan really is for us.

   But then again, are we really sitting as calmly and peacefully as this girl in the photo?

   Are we being patient, trusting, and hopeful?

   I don't know about you, but if we are being honest, I sincerely have not been sitting. I have not even been standing. I have been running around in circles without looking anywhere around me, focusing only on myself.  And truthfully instead of rejoicing in the fact that my Maker already has it figured out, I have been scrutinizing, devising, and speculating ways that I can trick Him into letting me see the future.  I heard a quote once and it struck me...
    
    "If you want to make God laugh... tell Him your plans."
And let me be the first to say, God has been cracking up at me for years!!
  
    Recently I borrowed the book "My Utmost For His Highest" by Oswald Chambers (even though I just started I will tell you it is a MUST READ! And if you didn't know already, because I didn't when I got it, it is a devotional) and yesterday's devotion struck me even more.  The title of it is "The Passion of Patience"... the PASSION of patience, not the technique, not a "how-to", not the discovery of, but the PASSION of... patience.  Chambers discusses the passion revealing itself through the glory, or knowing, of God.
  "Though it may linger, wait for it." Habakkuk 2:3

   My faith has been a waiting game, a game full of demand and expectancy of knowledge that I may never come to have.  So, if you are in the same boat with me, let's stop running in circles, let's stop our tunnel vision, let's stop standing once and for all...
   Let's sit, and rejoice in the vision of God, He is the only future I want, what else matters after Him?

1 comment: